On Thursday morning I received an email from Phil Veal and Serge van Dam asking if I was interested in the CEO role.
Immediately my heart rate jumped and I got excited.
I spoke to a group of my mentors who also got excited about how perfect the fit was for my passion, values and skills.
My passion is Adventure, Challenge and Learning. Attending Outward bound with my daughter last year was one of the best things I have done in my life.
I love the outdoors and run an adventure blog of our adventures www.greatwalkadventures.com I’m a member of the Alpine Club and have recently volunteered to support the committee.
My values are Kindness, Family, Love, Happiness, Learning, Adventure and Challenge.
After reading the role information I felt like I have been in training my whole career for this opportunity.
My most relevant experience
- Leadership of Line 2 Line, up to 100 staff across multiple locations
- Fundraising $50M
- Proven financial results
- Work in the not for profit sector, CCS Disability, Women’s Refuge
- Organising and leading multi day adventures
- Leadership and Innovation consulting
I look forward to talking soon.
Video from our Outward Bound Experience
CV Andy Carruthers
105 Northland Rd,Northland, Wellington
(021) 2446051 Mobile
I am passionate about solving complex business problems. I’m a highly motivated, results orientated leader with more than 20 years experience in business.
My top realised strengths are Pride, Innovation, Bounceback, Optimism, Drive, Planner and Mission
- Converts vision into a strategic action plan and revises strategy in the light of changing circumstances. Develops long term perspective on organisational success.
- Clearly communicates vision, strategy and objectives. Encourages open and frank discussion and develops a climate of teamwork through own actions.
- Identifies new business opportunities and generates innovative ideas for implementation. Takes calculated risks while ensuring those new opportunities are inline with the long-term business objectives.
- Skilled in juggling a variety of projects and prioritising appropriately to ensure tight deadlines are met.
- Demonstrates excellent liaising, negotiating, mediating and presentation skills to ensure the forging of strong external relationships and understanding of clear internal business issues and objectives.
Motivator and Mentor / Public Speaking:
- Results-focussed Sales Teams; Facilitator of Seminars
- Management reporting, cash flow management / forecasting
- Financial analyst skills, to manage risk and identify new opportunities
- Head of Technology for two organisations employing 100 and 30 staff.
- Leader for CRM development (50 users) / Database design; Systemisation of 50 seat call centre,
- Set-up Cloud ERP Workflow and job management systems for a number of businesses
2012 – 2020 Findex
Position: Advisor, Associate Partner – Performance Consulting
Working with Business Owners to help them increase profits and get the edge over the competition.
Supporting owners to leverage technology to grow sales and increase business efficiency.
Clients and projects
- Women’s Refuge, Business Process Re-engineering 2min video
- East By West Ferries, Stash Wardrobes, CCS Disability Action, JLP Commercial Plumbing, Staglands Wildlife Reserve, Nexus: Innovation and Leadership training program: 2min video
- NZ Trade and Enterprise, Commercial review of Merchandising Operations
- Business development
- Key relationship manager
- Business Advisor, solving financial, people and system problems
- Chairpeople of Family Office, leading weekly business development with a of team 7 advisors
- Wellington lead of the Innovation and Leadership training program
- Wellington lead of Performance Consulting
- Supported clients to grow and improve the results they achieved from their businesses
- Grew revenue by winning new clients and growing current clients
- Selling and running our Innovation and Leadership training program with 7 clients
- Creating and leading training programs for business owners on Improving Cash Flow, Using New Technology and Innovating business
- Lead Business Process Re-engineering projects for 30 business to streamline operations
1994 – 2015 Idea Unique Ltd t/a Timezoneone
Position: CFO / Founder
One of three founders that started the business in Christchurch 1994. In 18 years we have expanded the business from a local design business with three staff to a global design company that exports New Zealand creative services to the USA. We have a team of 15 staff across our Christchurch and Chicago offices.
- Manage all the companies financial and compliance affairs in NZ, USA and UK
- Manage FOREX risk across 3 currencies, engage a broker to provide expert assistance
- Negotiate leases and work with landlords
- Develop a focus on profitable revenue and collecting receivables
- Leader of project to acquire a competitor in Chicago
- Source and implement workflow management and financial technology systems
- Director responsible for creating and implementing key business strategies
- Building company to 30 staff and turnover of $5M, operating in Chicago, London and Christchurch
- Grow team size by 50% over 6 months to resource the win of a new client www.crocs.com CROX on the NASDAQ
- Implemented www.netsuite.com NetSuite is the leading integrated web-based business software suite, including business accounting software, ERP software, CRM software and ecommerce in 2002, this was the first of the true Cloud business software
- Managed FOREX risk on the USD for 10 years of high volatility
- Upgraded web-based business software suite, including business accounting software, ERP software, CRM software and ecommerce in 2011 to www.workflowmax.com and www.xero.com
- Produced 5 years of 20% EBIT when industry average was 10%
- Accepted into NZTE Beachheads Program
1993 – 2012 Line 2 Line Concepts Ltd
Position: CFO / CEO / Founder
One of two founders that started in 1993, running a number of fundraising publishing projects for Police and other public organisations.
One of the first businesses in the country to actively acquire customers for Telco’s and Power Co’s when deregulation was first introduced. We established a reputation for achieving results that were unobtainable by the internal professional teams our clients had established
At its peak, Line 2 Line employed 100 team members across New Zealand and Australia. I was involved in managing projects for the following clients and running the financial affairs of the company.
Hamilton City Council
New Zealand Police Association
International Police Association Journal
Wellington Golf Association Program
Canterbury Regional Council
Police Managers’ Guild Trust
The Hub Business Services
Country Energy in Melbourne Australia
- Negotiate multi year client contracts with NZ Police Assn, Police Managers Guild Trust, Clear Communications, Trust Power, Call South.
- Recruiting, training and managing teams of salespeople
- Grew the business to 100 staff across operations throughout New Zealand and Melbourne
- Manage all the companies financial and compliance affairs in NZ, and Australia
- Manage FOREX risk across 2 currencies, engage a broker to provide expert assistance
- Negotiate leases and work with landlords
- Design and project manage CRM and business information systems for 50 seat call centres
- Restructure business to profitability
- Selling the Australian business to key client
- Generated $50M in fundraising
- Published 5 million community service publications on community safety issues
- Switched 7,000 business customers to Clear Communications
- Switched 10,000 residential electricity customers to Trust Power
- Switched 20,000 residential customers for Country Energy in Victoria Australia
- Designed and lead project to build CRM system for 50 seat call centre in ASP.Net and MSSQL
2002-2004 Cash For Life
Position Founder / Lead facilitator
- Build a leadership team to create financial education course
- Develop and sell products to consumers
- Lead and motivate the leadership team
- Created 12 week program financial education course to improve customers cash flow, included weekly seminars, one to one coaching, games and activities
- Created financial scorecard tool to measure and track cash flow
- Created competition for customers to play to improve cash flow
- Delivered education to 200 people
- Ran 12 week program through the Dominion Post for Wellingtonians to improve their cash flow
1995 Positive Young Entrepreneur
Created a group to support networking and encourage young entrepreneurs in Wellington. I ran four events with guest speakers that included Wellington’s Mayor Mark Blumsky.
1991 – 1993 Telco Communications Inc Wellington / Adelaide / Melbourne (Head Office Boston USA)
Position Sales Consultant / Sales Manager
Worked as a telephone salesperson in Wellington, I was promoted to sales manager of 8 team members. Responsible for leadership, training, recruitment and reporting. I was promoted to open and manage sales offices in Adelaide and Melbourne.
Qualifications & Professional Development
- Zapier Expert
- WorkflowMax Setup Partner
- Xero certified
- Business Mastermind member
- Team Management Profile Accreditation & 360° Profiles Accreditation
- TEC, The Executive Connection Member of the Wellington CEO’s Group
- Landmark Education Facilitation and Leadership Training
- Victoria University 1990-1991, Intermediate year for Architecture and BA papers
- Budget advisor: New Zealand Federation of Family Budgeting Services certified budget adviser 2010
- Surf Lifeguard: Surf Life Saving Guard Award
- Committee member NZ Academy of Fine Arts
I am an active outdoors person who enjoys surfing, mountain biking and adventure hiking. I also enjoy making adventure movies for my blog www.greatwalkadventure.com
Available on request